Friday 18 January 2013

PICKLING GARLIC

After my bumper crop of garlic this season I wondered if I could possibly get through it all in a year without it sprouting so I decided to pickle some.

 
I used Pam Corbin's recipe from Preserves but replaced the saffron with a pinch of tumeric for the colour.

500g newer garlic
15 peppercorns
5 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar pinch of saffron threads

Sterilize your jars and lids.  Submerge all of the garlic in hot water, and keep it in for about 20 seconds.  Remove, and the garlic will slide right out of its skins.
Put the vinegar, sugar and saffron into a pan. Bring the mixture to a boil then take off heat. Pack the garlic cloves into the sterilized jars, adding a bay leaf and peppercorns as you go. Pour the hot vinegar over the garlic, and top with the lid and band. If the vinegar is hot enough, the jar should seal (the center of the lid will suck down) within a couple of hours. If it doesn’t seal, you can also process in a hot water bath for ten minutes, or store in the refrigerator. Use within a year.

 
They look so pretty in their little jars.

1 comment:

  1. looks fab! I was just wondering what you would use pickled garlic for? Are there any recipes you could suggest?

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and do try my hardest to comment back, sometimes though, life gets in the way.
xxxSue